5-10 minutes prep
5-10 minutes in-class activity
1. Go to http://www.wordle.net/ . Click “create,” then copy and paste the text of the class reading. The website will generate a “word cloud” picture. If desired, the word cloud can be customized to a font of your choice.
2. If you intend to project the word cloud in class, then save a screen grab of the word cloud. If you intend to hand out copies, then print.
1. Project or hand out copies of the word cloud. Explain to students that the largest words are the words which appear most frequently in the text they are going to read. Some pre-reading questions might include:
- What do you think the topic of this reading will be?
- What will the main ideas be?
- Which words are new? Are there words you have seen before but you don’t know what they mean?
2. If there are unknown words, explain them. It may be useful to first ask if any students know the meaning and can explain the words.
Some of the script fonts on the website may be illegible to international students who have never learned to read cursive.