To review vocabulary words
To increase vocabulary exposure
quarter-sheets of scratch paper
target vocabulary words
5 minutes prep
5-10 minutes activity time
Using a list of the students' target vocabulary words for the week, jot down word definitions as a reference for yourself. You may skip this step if you are good at coming up with definitions on the spot.
1. Hand out scratch paper and ask students to write down any five words from this week's target vocabulary words.
2. Explain the procedure to the students.
3. Read the definition of one word. Keep track of which words you have called.
4. If a student has written a word that matches the definition, he or she may cross it out.
5. The first student who has crossed out all five words shouts "Bingo!"